When I am in the mood for an outstanding dessert, I always go for my to die for carrot cake.
With unbelievable moistness and flavor this carrot cake receives rave reviews.
The icing which includes both butter and cream cheese is an added bonus for this cake.
An unusual dessert in that a big part of it is made of carrots, it endures as incredibly popular.
Spices that were introduced to Europe from the subcontinent found their way into many dishes of the old world.
How to Make To Die For Carrot Cake
I like to use sweet and juicy carrots when I make this cake.
Whisk all dry ingredients together together in a bowl.
Using a food processor mix the sugars and eggs.
While processor is running add oil through funnel until mixture is light in color and well mixed.
Pour into a bowl and add the carrots and dry ingredients, mix well.
For easy cake removal, add parchment paper to the bottom of your pans and baking spray should be liberally applied to two 9-inch pans.
Adding parchment for the bottom of your pans will ensure no sticking happens.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 350ºF until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Remove to a cooling rack and allow the cakes to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Carrot Cake
The most typical frosting for a carrot cake is some kind of cream cheese and powdered sugar icing at the heart of it.
There are all kinds of variations but this one is by far the most typical one you will find.
Whip cream cheese until nice and airy, add butter and sour cream.
Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until nice and smooth
You want this icing to be soft because this is cake is very moist so you don’t want it crumbling with a colder and thicker frosting.
On a cake plate or stand frost the top and continue frosting the sides with a generous dollop of frosting.
Can You Freeze It?
The easiest way is to slice the cake and freeze the individual slices in airtight wrapping.
This way you can keep them in the freezer for three or four months.
Thaw the slices in a refrigerator overnight.
Allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving.
To Die For Carrot Cake Recipe
For the Cake
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175°C).
- Butter two 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Add both sugars to the eggs in a food processor. Process until well mixed. With the processor running, add oil through top opening.
- Scrape into a bowl. Add carrots. Add dry ingredients until well mixed. Add batter evenly to both pans.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes on a cake rack before turning the cakes out.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before adding the frosting.
For the Frosting
- Add sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Add the powdered sugar a quarter cup at a time.
- Scrape down sides making sure all ingredients are mixed together.
Putting the Cake Together
- Place one sponge on a plate and cover with ⅓ of your frosting.
- Place the other sponge on top and use the remaining frosting to cover the sides and top.