A very quick and easy dessert to pull together on short notice, with results that will please.
These dishes went through many changes, and cultural adaptations until the pudding ended up this kind of custard.
What is Egg Pudding?
There are several variations of these custards that share the basic ingredients of a pudding, with unique additions.
In the UK the word pudding can refer to a custard dessert or just generally to a dessert of any kind.
The difference of course is when the word pudding refers to a savory pudding, such as black pudding or haggis.
These are not puddings in the way an American would consider a sweet egg mixture pudding recipe.
How to Make Egg Pudding
Place sugar in a thick bottomed pot and place over medium heat, and stir occasionally.
As the sugar begins to melt continue stirring allowing it to caramelize and turn a deep amber color.
Place in a preheated oven at 350ºF (176ºC) for about 60 minutes.
This recipe is pretty forgiving so you don’t necessarily need to place the pan in boiling water.
The hot water surrounding the custard pudding will allow it to bake more gently and evenly.
Do not overcook; this dessert can easily curdle if the temperature gets too hot.
To check for doneness, jiggle the pan and if the custard ripples easily it is not yet done.
Bake for 10 or 15 more minutes until it has a jiggle to it like jello that is just setting.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
How to Serve
Instead you could add a strawberry coulis, topped with whipped cream, and sprinkled with chopped candied pecans.
Another idea is to drizzle maple syrup, with chocolate nibs for a lower sugar treat.
Tips for Making
- In order to get a smoother custard, an option would be to put your mixture through a sieve before pouring it into your pan.
- Do not over cook, make sure the internal temperature does not go above 185ºF (85ºC).
- Bake in a 9 inch round baking dish, or bundt pan.
Egg Pudding Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Caramelize the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan, stirring so that the sugar syrup does not burn.
- Pour into your 9 inch baking pan, or bundt pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking pan and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Garnish with bananas and serve.