Breaded mushrooms can be delicious, crunchy on the outside, with a lovely mushroom on the inside.
But What is a Mushroom Anyway?
Simply put, a mushroom is a fungal growth, usually presenting as a domed top growing on a stalk.
All mushrooms are fungi, but not all fungi are mushrooms.
Being fungi means that they are neither fruit nor vegetable, and not even really a plant at all.
Of course not all mushrooms are good for you, so foragers beware!
You certainly need to know what you are looking for when searching out mushrooms in the wild.
One percent of mushrooms are deadly, and about 20 percent will make you quite ill.
About half of all mushrooms are not really edible or worth eating.
Only around 4 percent of all mushrooms that are considered flavorful enough to eat.
Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs were convinced that mushrooms provided eternal life and banned commoners from eating them.
Certain mushrooms have been used for their psychoactive properties, by medicine men in some cultures.
Mushrooms come in all shapes and sizes, and some can be an acquired taste, and not something that appeals to everyone.
Prices vary depending on the type of fungi you are seeking.
Truffles which are technically mushrooms being the most expensive.
The European white truffle can cost as much as $2,500 a pound!
Are Mushrooms Good For You?
Mushrooms have unique antioxidants that give a boost to your immune system.
They are a good source of selenium, niacin, dietary fiber, while being low in calories, sodium, and fat.
They also create vitamin D when exposed to sunlight and therefore can provide us with that as well.
But the best part about mushrooms as far as I’m concerned is that they taste amazing.
Some offer a subtle flavor to a dish, whereas other types bring an unmatched beefiness to a plate.
How to Make Breaded Mushrooms
You can leave the mushrooms whole if you are using button mushrooms.
If you go for a bigger type then it may be a good idea to cut them into bite sized pieces.
Fully coat the mushrooms well in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture and finally the bread crumbs.
Using a good brand of breadcrumb mixture, or even making your own works as well.
Make sure the oil is hot before you fry the mushrooms, you want a temperature of about 350º to 375ºF.
Once the mushrooms are well coated fry in a couple inches of oil, until they are golden brown.
When the mushrooms have browned, remove and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to absorb any additional oil.
Sprinkle them with salt, pepper or garlic powder.
Garlic Dip for Breaded Mushrooms
There are many dips you can use to accompany these satisfying treats.
Many people like to use ranch dressing as an easy option right off the shelf.
I like to make a Middle Eastern garlic dip which I think complements this mushroom recipe really well.
You will need:
Scraping down the sides making sure all the garlic is chopped as finely as possible.
With the processor running, drizzle the oil through the opening in the cover, alternating with lemon juice.
Go very slowly with this process for best results.
Your goal is to emulsify the ingredients with each other, and that takes a steady and slow approach.
Eventually you will have a thick dip that has the consistency of mayonnaise.
Tips for Making
- Always use mushrooms that are as fresh as possible for best results.
- Add cayenne or black pepper to the flour mix for a peppery option.
- Always make more than you think you’ll need, these morsels go fast!
Breaded Mushrooms Recipe
- Mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, and za’atar in the first bowl.
- Put the bread crumbs into the third bowl.
- Pour about two inches of vegetable oil into your frying pot and heat until the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Take the prepared mushrooms and coat them well in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture, again until well coated, and finally put the mushrooms into the breadcrumbs and coat.
- Place coated mushrooms into the hot oil until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove and place on a tray lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Sprinkle with black pepper if you would like. More salt pepper to taste.
- You will need three bowls for this recipe.