Do you know which herb substitutes to use in an emergency?
We’ve all been there when suddenly we realize that the herb we thought we had on the shelf isn’t there!
We are following a recipe, it’s calling for that particular herb!
What to do?
Don’t panic, there are solutions.
With food, there are always solutions.
So which herb substitutes can you use in the foods you are making while staying as close to the original flavor as possible?
The main thing is not to worry, and with the help of this post, hopefully you can learn what are the best ways to find alternatives to your herb ingredients.
How can your herb garden come to the rescue in a time of need?
What are good herb substitutes?
Let’s take a look at some specific herbs.
- 20% Faster than Soil Planting: The integrated low noise pump of hydroponics growing system aerates the water to stimulate plant growth while the upper fan simulates the outside breeze at timed intervals. Grow your plants 20% faster than the traditional soil planting method.
- 4.5L Water Tank and Fan: Hydroponics growing system built-in a fan which spreads pollen in florescence, disperses heat in germination. Indepandent 4.5L water tank can support plants to grow for 1-2 weeks in the growth period. A visual window can see how much water in tank.
- HARVEST ANYWHERE & ANYTIME: Indoor gardening system efficient 24-watt LED grow light simulates optimal effects of sunlight. Technology optimized for plants, herbs garden LED panel can be adjusted to 180° maximum and 21inches maximum height, plants receive more illumination area, maximize photosynthesis, and also more convenient for pruning branch leaves. Hydroponics plants grow 5 times faster than soil, harvest fresh all year round
- QUIET SMART WATERING SYSTEM: Hydroponic growing system water pump with premium quality ceramic core technology, super quiet (less than 20 dB). The pump runs every 30 minutes, not only efficient and energy-saving but also provides oxygen for better root development. Indoor herb garden designed with the water shortage indicator, don’t worry about forgetting to water
- 【INCLUDE ALL HYDROPONICS KITS YOU NEED】You will get: 3L water tank with water level window; Custom spectrum LED grow lights; Silent water pump; Planting Pods x 8; Planting Sponge x 8;Solid Nutrients A&B; Plant Support x 8; Germinating Cover x 8; Planting tags x 8. It supports over 100 different plants, up to 8 plants grown at once. Grows in water no soil, no mess, made simple, giving anyone even children the ability to grow healthy plants for a beautiful DIY indoor garden! [NOT INCLUDE ANY SEED]
- 【ULTRA-QUIET SELF-WATERING HYDROPONICS SYSTEM】Our hydroponics Growing System is designed with a silent water-pump circulation system, helps to circulate water, increase water oxygen, and keep the nutrient circulating well to the roots, which helps plants grow up to three times faster and healthier than in soil. It saves time & effort. The pump will work for 30mins and turn off for 30mins, which can not only keep water fresh effectively but also save energy and be eco-friendly.
- 30% Faster than Soil Planting: Start an indoor herb garden with the Ahopegarden hydroponic growing system, which includes a water reservoir, an overhead LED grow light, and a circulation system that keeps the water fresh. The hydroponic setup and lighting systems allow plants to grow up to three times faster and healthier in controlled conditions. Simply add plant seeds, water, and nutrients to the reservoir and watch the plants grow.
- 8 Pods & Water Level Window Included: This indoor grow kit with light offers 8 growing stations, yet it costs less than many six-station systems. The reservoir of our hydroponic vegetable garden kit also comes with a see-through water level window, so with a glance, you can see how much water is in the reservoir and when it’s time to add more water.
SWAP FOR: Oregano or Thyme
Oregano and thyme are two of the most widely used herbs, and originate from the Medeteranean region.
Even though basil originated in India, it is widely used in countries around the Mediterranean.
Often we associate dishes with basil to also contain oregano and thyme.
Even though dried basil remains sweeter and more herbal than the other two, they can be exchanged quite adequately.
In fact they are often found together in Italian seasoning.
SWAP FOR: Basil, Oregano or Marjoram
Thyme is not particularly aromatic, but has a very well rounded flavor that when used correctly with complementary herbs allows for a robust taste.
Thyme is a member of the mint family, and a close relation to oregano, and therefore can be substituted for oregano easily.
Marjoram is slightly pungent and a bit spicy, and combine with a little parsley can be a great substitute for thyme.
SWAP FOR: Marjoram, Savory or Rosemary
Savory is an herb that is described as being full in flavor and therefore a good substitute for sage.
Sage is described as sweet and somewhat bitter, with lemon and eucalyptus notes making it also a full flavored herb.
Marjoram is also a strong flavor as is rosemary, making them good substitutes as well.
SWAP FOR: Thyme or Basil
Oregano tastes a bit woodsy, and has an earthy flavor, making it a bit bolder than the taste of basil, but the sweetness is strong enough that you can taste the herbalism in a dish that can help mimic the herbal flavor of oregano.
Thyme can complement other herbs to give a well-rounded taste you can get from oregano.
SWAP FOR: Cilantro or Chervil
Chevil is from the carrot family which is related to parsley, and therefore a good substitute for parsley.
Chervil has a bit of a stronger flavor but works well. Cilantro works as well, although with a more distinctive flavor.
SWAP FOR: Tarragon
Both these herbs have a bittersweet characteristic, with a mild taste of anise seed to them which allows for a seamless substitution.
SWAP FOR: Parsley
Cilantro will have a bit of a stronger and more distinctive flavor than parsley, but the fresh taste of both can be easily interchangeable.
SWAP FOR: ¼ tsp Dried Thyme
Bay leaf is very pungent, bitter and sharp flavor when eaten whole.
Once dried, bay leaf can taste very much like dried thyme.
Instead of being overpowering, it gently flavors any dish when substituting dried thyme.
SWAP FOR: Scallions or Leek
Chives are related to leaks, garlic, and onions.
With a very gentle onion flavor along with a hint of garlic, chives are distinctive, but definitely oniony.
Scallions or leeks with the understated taste of onion are a perfect match.
I hope that was helpful and that you found the herb substitutes you were looking for.
Do you have any suggestions?
I’d love to hear about them in the comments below!