Fermentation of sourdough can regularly be a 24 hour process or even longer in some cases.
Sourdough will have a bit of a sour flavor as the name suggests because of the lactic acid this process produces.
Another benefit to the lactic acid produced by the lactobacilli is that sourdough bread will keep longer.
It is also a fantastic way to add a complex flavor to your pancakes and waffles.
Try it today!
Why Use Sourdough for Pizza Dough?
Simply put, for taste and texture.
However, it is so much more nuanced than just that.
I find that a sourdough pizza crust has more of a crunch and a stretch to it, all at the same time.
Plus all the benefits that sourdough offers, including being easier to digest.
Starter will stay alive for years, in fact the oldest can go back centuries.
Some scientists reconstituted some samples of sourdough from ancient Egypt and were able to bring back a flavor of history.
The point is that a good sourdough will increase in flavor and robustness over the years providing you with a hearty taste.
Very often sourdough starters are seen as family heirlooms and passed from generation to generation.
How to Make Sourdough Pizza Dough
Using the pizza dough recipe below, you can make the dough in advance and freeze.
Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, and make a well in the middle.
Add the warm water, and starter and knead, stretch and fold, until you have a well formed pizza dough..
If too dry add a bit more water, and if the mixture is too wet add some water.
Roll into a dough ball and let the dough rise until double in size at room temperature.
This process can take a couple of hours.
Pour out onto a floured surface, and divide the dough into the sizes you are looking for.
Push on each dough ball from the middle out as you turn the dough with your fingers.
Slowly flatten the dough until you have your pizza crust, it will be ready to bake.
Brush the crust with olive oil if you like, and then add toppings and bake.
Tips for Making
- Be sure to give the dough ample time to rise, making sure it gets its full time is ideal.
- You can take a longer time to allow your starter to impart flavor by retarding the dough in the fridge overnight.
- You will want your dough to be a little on the sticky side for best results.
Where to start with this one is totally up to your imagination, and taste buds.
Because sourdough has a robust flavor it can easily be paired with foods that have strong flavors.
Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe
- Add all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in the middle.
- Add the water and the starter.
- Either using your hands or a stand mixer with a hook attachment begin to incorporate all ingredients together.
- Add more water if the mix is dry or more flour if too wet.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC).
- Pour dough out on a floured surface and cut into two portions.
- Flatten dough with your hands into a pizza round.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown.