Nothing like zaatar and cheese together.
The combination of flavors is lovely especially given they are bundled in a rough puff pastry.
There are so many tasty foods that are wrapped in pastry or dough in this part of the world that can be made and tried in so many different ways.
Find your favorite fillings, and experiment with the different doughs and pastries creating your very own treat.
I’m really looking forward to being with other people who are very interested in good food, and sharing it with others.
Also, I haven’t been to Alaska in many, many years.
I remember it with a great fondness given the beauty of the place.
It will definitely be a change in weather given that it has been hovering around 95°F here everyday.
The average temperature in Juneau during the month of June is 62°F.
Quite cold in comparison!
But it will be a nice break from the relentless heat here in Jordan.
It seems like such a long time given I used to travel all the time.
I was in airports and airplanes on a weekly basis flying all over the place for a job that I had grown weary of.
I have to admit I do miss being in planes.
The reason I stayed in my old job past its expiry date was because of my love of travel.
Being in new cities all the time, and flying to them in style was kind of addictive if I’m honest.
Who wouldn’t like that lifestyle?
But I do have to confess that I am very much liking the ability to stay in one place and spend time with the ones I love, while I work on everything food.
I now have the time to focus full time on food creation, and research.
This recipe of cheese and zaatar parcels has been fun to make variations of.
A popular flatbread here is one that combines these two flavors.
Fresh out of the oven it is heavenly.
Another wonderful way to combine these different foods is to put a little olive oil in a bowl, with zaatar in another.
Using fresh pieces of pita dip the bread first into the olive oil and then in the zaatar and eat followed by a slice of white cheese with a little chopped fresh mint, and if you really want to have a treat, add some sweet watermelon to the mix.
The tastes of these foods together is beyond compare!
Go ahead and try it!
You won’t be sorry!
Cheese and Zaatar Parcels
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine the salt and flour.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour mix.
- Using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it's combined.
- Add the water slowly until you form a dough. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll out on a floured surface. Fold the dough in thirds and roll again. Continue this process several times.
- Roll out one final time. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 16 circles.
- Finely chop the cheeses and mix in a bowl with zaatar.
- Place a spoonful of the cheese filling in each circle.
- Place on a tray and glaze with the remaining egg. Chill in the fridge until firm.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until brown.