Historically lobster is an expensive seafood, so alternatives are welcome, like this poor mans lobster recipe.
Even though many fish varieties are getting more and more expensive, so is lobster!
What is Poor Mans Lobster?
This refers to a dish made of white fish that is cooked in the style of lobster, with many of the similar flavors.
Once cooked in boiling water and then dipped in butter it has a taste like lobster and I know some people who like it better than lobster.
If you cook the fish in the oven and then drench it in melted butter you may be able to get away with the lobster taste.
Is Cod The Best Substitute?
Cod works really well, but it is by no means the only white fish you can use.
Sea bass, sea bream, and halibut all work.
Cod fillets work very well, like you see in this recipe.
They hold up to being boiled and served with melted butter.
How to Make Poor Mans Lobster
Cut a cod fillet into several pieces about 2 inches wide.
Bring water to a boil in a cooking pot and add salt and sugar.
Using tongs, drop the pieces of fish into the boiling water and allow to cook for about 7 minutes until the fish flakes a bit.
Remove from the water using a skimmer.
For best results so that the fish does not come apart, put in a bowl of melted butter.
Remove from the butter and squeeze fresh lemon juice on the fish.
Serve hot with pepper and paprika for color.
Tips for Making
- Don’t overcook the fish otherwise it will easily begin to fall apart making it difficult to serve as one piece.
- Do smother the fish in butter. With this dish there is no such thing as too much butter.
- I think you are better off with salted butter.
Poor Mans Lobster Recipe
- Cut the white fish fillets widthwise into 2 inch widths.
- Using tongs lower fish pieces into the boiling water.
- Cook for about 7 minutes or until the fish is just beginning to flake.
- Using a skimmer, remove the fish and place in the bowl of melted butter.
- Remove from the butter and squeeze lemon juice on the fillet pieces.
- Serve hot.